Thursday, October 17, 2013

Baby prep- food edition and cauliflower potato soup

One of my pre-baby to-do's was to make a list of freezer meals and snacks for the coming months.
I don't know about you, but my kids eat all day long and we don't typically have chips or packaged "snacky" items around our house. This usually works well for us, however, as of late I've not been able to keep up with their food demands and I know once Brooks gets here it will only get worse. So I decided to stock up on our usual snacks and make a few additions that will be quick and easy for the kids to grab.

To keep costs down and their snacks somewhat healthy, I got the majority of my items at Trader Joes. I loaded up on granola bars, yogurt, apples, bananas, string cheese, PB, baby carrots, graham crackers, Kefir (my kids love the Pomegranate flavor), dark chocolate almond milk, lunch meat (least processed possible), sliced cheese, pumpkin pancake mix, veggie straws, and I bought cookie butter for the first time- yummoooo. 

As for dinners, I will cook through my below list, each time doubling the batch and freezing half for next month.
*The majority of the items were taken from Pioneer Woman and her freezer cooking suggestions.

Chili- add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar
Grilled Chicken Breasts (approx 12 individually wrapped for salads, pastas, etc) 
Potato and Cauliflower Soup

The potato cauliflower soup does not have a link, because I made it up. I mean, I'm sure there is a recipe out there, perhaps you can google it, but my rendition was a cleaning-out-the-pantry of sorts. And, I'm SO glad I made it! Seriously, one of the best potato soup's I've eaten. It has a much different flavor than the usual Paula Dean recipe, which I loved.

Cauliflower Potato soup

Here's what I had on hand:
Yukon gold potatoes- approx 20 small potatoes
1 yellow onion
Head of cauliflower
Heavy cream
Sour cream
Chicken stock.

-Dice potatoes, onion, and cauliflower. Throw everything in the crockpot.
-Cover the veggies with chicken stock. Only 3/4 were completely covered, which was approx 2 containers of stock.
-Add a half stick of butter.
-Salt generously, and add a heaping tbsp of garlic powder.
-Cook on low for 6 hours.
-Once cooked, mash the veggies with a large ladle or an immersion blender. I left ours pretty chunky.
-Add two heaping spoonfuls (big spoons) of sour cream, a little less than 1/2 c of heavy cream (just don't think about it), more salt, and garlic powder.
-Taste the mixture. I added more chicken stock to thin the soup.

I served our soup with cheese, alongside a rotisserie chicken, raw carrots, and French bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment