Sunday, January 25, 2015

Decorating with a plan

I've mentioned before that I no longer have a decorating budget built into our remodel. Which means I have to turn to our every day budget to make the prettiness happen. And I will make it happen. Not only do I think it contributes to the overall coziness of our home, it's something I love, love, love to do. And I haven't done it in OVER A YEAR.

We don't have a plethora of extra money to pour into decorating, though. In order to keep myself from the all-too-familiar-walk-of-shame to Target's return section, because I was blinded by creative forces and it made me think I had million bucks, I've created a plan. One I absolutely have to stick to as I'm determined to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever go back into debt.

So I created a spreadsheet. Nothing profound. In fact, I'm sure they are teaching third graders how to create more complex workbooks.



Inside the spreadsheet I have a tab for each room. I compiled my wants by spending time on the internet and walking through stores. Mainly Target, IKEA, and a few small online businesses because those are the kinds of stores we can afford. This has taken me months because well, IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR, and at some point I had to do these types of things to keep the right side of my brain alive.

Once I found something I loved, I added it to the list, including prices and what store the item is from. The hope is to keep an eye on sales and coupons, but here's the catch. No matter how good the sale is, if I don't have the money right then and there I have to say no. No. No. No. I'm the queen at justifying sale purchases. The queen. But if the money's not there. It's not there. Profound, right?

This plan will take work, but I know what it feels like to be in debt. I also know what it feels like to buy everything I think I need, promise my husband I won't buy another thing for at least 5 years, then the next day be wanting for more. These things can't hold the weight of my ultimate satisfaction. Only God can. To truly enjoy this decorating process, with no guilt and honoring all the Lord has given me, I have to do it this way.

So here's to trying! And to patience. And pain. And more patience. And joy. Lots and lots of joy. BECAUSE I HAVE A HOUSE TO DECORATE. Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment