Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Design inspiration: Kitchen, Living Room, Dining Room, Kids Rooms

The moment we walked into this house I thought farmhouse; this needs to be a simple, cozy, farmhouse. That may sound weird seeing how it's in the middle of the city and there's hardly a backyard, but the old charm is demanding it. I simply cannot argue. It is worthy to note our good friends who live a block away have chickens. That counts for something, right?

I'm still not certain how I will achieve this look or if it will be what exists in the end, but here are a few images that have guided me thus far.

1. This muted, vintage, oriental rug is nothing short of perfection. I'd love to find something similar for my dining room. Preferably a version that won't keep my kids from going to college.

I also plan to paint the entire room Sherwin Williams Pure White. Trim, walls, wainscoting, ceiling- everything! I know, it'll be fantastic (and require alot of magic erasers). I'll use our current farmhouse table, but eventually ask Bob to build a reclaimed wood dining table. I wouldn't dare utter that request now. He may lose his ever lovin mind.


I'm in love with this light fixture for above the dining room table. It may be the one fixture I get to splurge on.

via
2. The below picture sums up my idea for the entry. White trim, grey walls (Sherwin Williams-Crushed Ice), and charcoal door (SW- Gauntlet Gray). Ahhh.


3. The kitchen will have wood floors, white cabinets, white subway tile backsplash, white grout, white quartz countertop (Caesarstone Frosty Carrina), and light grey walls (Sherwin Williams Crushed Ice). I'm hoping to have two sections on either side of my farmhouse sink with open shelving for our everyday white dishes. We will also have open shelving down the hallway just off the kitchen (leads to our pantry and half-bath) where I'll store our glass canisters full of various flours and sugars.


In the current drawings there is a gigantic island in the middle of the room that will seat 6-8 people. I'd like to find a cheaper version these stools for that area.

via
We currently have a built-in hutch in our cabinet plans, similar to the one below.

via
4. Here's a mood board I started for Avery's room. I plan to paint her room all white, just like the dining room, and paint a few of her furniture pieces Sherwin Williams Breaktime. I'm also envisioning white curtains with white pom poms, because why not add more white to a toddler's room?

We don't have a play room in this house, so the kids bedrooms will also become their play areas. The boys room will house the majority of the toys, while Avery's room will be the project room. I'd love to have project supplies stored in a similar area to the refurbed closet below.



5. Here are a few items that have inspired the boys room. Their room will be painted SW- Mindful Grey and I'm hoping to get the bunk bed pictured below (from IKEA) and paint it SW- Gauntlet Gray.


6. I've gone back and forth as to what I want our living room to be. I have lots of ideas, but they mostly involve new furniture and I just don't think that's in the cards for this first phase. So in keeping with what we have I'm going for a neutral, yet textured, scheme. I am on the hunt for a weathered leather chair, though. The one pictured is from Restoration Hardware. Unless I find something on Craigslist there's no way I can afford that exact model. womp. womp.

The walls will either be all white or SW- crushed ice. We plan to leave the exposed brick fireplace, just clean it up and fix the firebox.




Your guess is as good as mine as to what color I'll stain my floors. I tend to lean towards darker colors, but there's something about this house that makes me think light. My dream wood floors would be reclaimed wood, full of color variation and knots. I know I can't make these oak floors look like that, but I'm hopeful I can at least keep some of the wear and tear that's settled in from all these years.

Fun fact: Our house was built in 1915 for $7,000, making it one of the more expensive homes in that area. There were 3 (maybe 4) homes built by a famous KC architect nearby, so to keep home values up they required new homes be of a certain caliber.

I can't wait to go to the library to learn more about this house and who's occupied it. I've had a love of KC history since I was a little girl riding around with my grandpa while he showed me the different "settlements" (Strawberry Hill, Pendleton Heights) and explained our city's history. It's quite surreal that I'll get to be a part of it very soon.

For info on product sources not listed see my pinterest boards at amygib2.

No comments:

Post a Comment