Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day weekend

A couple years ago Bob and I decided to make Mother's Day and Father's Day holidays we celebrate with just our little family. I'm so glad we made that decision! No running around to three different houses, or exhausted, cranky children come 3:00 p.m. because everyone's missed their naps.

With that said, Mother's Day weekend is usually crazy, but I'll take it if it means I get a whole day alone with my favorite people.

On Friday, before our busy weekend began, we were able to get some long overdo house work done.
Meaning we finally have cabinet doors! It only took 5 years :)


Bray also came home with flowers after a trip to Lowes with Daddy. Bob said when Bray saw the flowers he told him they should bring some home for me. Bob let him pick which one to get:  "mommy loves pink. we have to get her pink."  

Bray was beaming when he presented them to me. 
I don't think I'll ever forget that moment. 


This little one continues to climb every surface available.
Friday night Bob and I went on a date.
It's been awhile since we've gone out and that night couldn't have gone better.


After our yummy dinner at Port Fonda we headed across the street to a local ice cream parlor. My ice cream cone was the best ice cream I've had to date. Frangelico- espresso with shaved hazelnut. Seriously. How could it not be?


Saturday, we had family pictures and then a BBQ at Bob's parents. Both went great, except Avery was a bit of a pill during pictures, but that was to be expected.

Avery cracks me up with her hands-behind-the-back stroll. She does it often.
Nana has lots of kid-sized motorized vehicles and a large driveway. A kid's dream.



Clearly exhausted from her long day
This Mother's Day our plans changed a bit since I woke up with an infection. Thankfully, after a quick trip to Emergent Care and some rest on the couch I was feeling much better. Bob also had to work a portion of the day, but when he got home he took great care of me and the kids. He helped clean the house, made a yummy dinner (breakfast for dinner at my request), and baked his famous chocolate chip cookies. It was relaxing, full of loves from the kids, and in the comfort of our little home. All the ingredients for a great Mother's Day, if you ask me.


This cutie barely left my side all day.
While the kids napped I caught up on some Trisha's Southern Kitchen and Pioneer Woman.




Both kids thought I was their jungle gym most of the afternoon. A sweet reminder that motherhood is constant :)


My awesome Mother's Day presents. Cake plates from Mint.com.

I ended Mother's Day by reading Ann Voskamp's "Mother's Day is for the Birds" post. My heart felt refreshed and energized after soaking in her words. 

"homemaking is about making a home, not perfection...We’ll be the holding-on-broken who know that it’s not that we won’t blow it, but it’s what we’ll do with it afterwards, whose priorities aren’t things that get us noticed, but priorities are all Things Unseen, who keep praying to only speak words that make souls stronger..."

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day, either rejoicing with the ones you love, or clinging to your Savior as you endure the reminders of broken relationships, infertility, or the loss of loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment