Thursday, October 25, 2012

Outfit and Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bisque

I'm working today, which means my smelly yoga pants are no more.

Here's what I have on.
Don't judge my non-model like face. You'd look like this too if it was before 7:00 a.m. and yoga pants were no where to be found.

 
 
Shirt- New York and Co.
Skirt- It's actually a dress from Forever 21 that shrunk in the wash
Shoes- BCBG via Hautelook
Belt- Forever 21
Flower- It's Avery's hairbow from Icing
 
 
As for the Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bisque. Well, I made it up (I'm sure somewhere there's a similar recipe) and I don't measure. So I realize what I'm about to give you may be of no help, but I can't bring myself to measure. Measuring makes me not want to cook.
 
Thus the measurements below are my estimations. Can you even deal with that? 
 
 
Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bisque
1 Butternut squash
2 cans Libbey's canned pumpkin- or the real deal if you're a hippie (I kid)
1 onion
1 carton of chicken stock
3/4 c. half in half
2 bay leaves
dried rosemary
cayenne pepper
salt
black pepper
1/4 c.-1/2c. apple cider vinegar
a smidge of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
 
In a crockpot or soup pot, add pumpkin, chopped up butternut squash, diced onion and chicken stock.
Next add the 2 bay leaves, generously add salt, black pepper, and rosemary. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and cook on high in the crockpot, if you use a pot bring to a boil then reduce to medium, for 4-6 hours. Once cooked, I use my immersion blender to puree (leaving a few chunks for texture), don't forget to take out the bay leaves before blending. I taste. Then add 3/4 cup of half n half, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and a smidge of balsamic, and a dash of cayenne. I taste again and add more of what my palette indicates. For us, I added a bit more salt and pepper, a touch of cayenne, quite a bit of apple cider vinegar (prob another 1/4 cup), and a lot more rosemary (at least another tablespoon). 
 
I topped our soup with some grated parmesan and served with roasted broccoli. You could add homemade croutons (drizzled with balsamic and parm) to the soup- that'd be delish.
 
By the way, if you've never had roasted broccoli, you MUST try it. The broccoli develops a nutty taste. I cook my chopped broccoli on 400 for 35-40 minutes (you can use frozen, it will just take longer to cook). I drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When the broccoli cooks down and develops crusty edges I know it's done. I then squirt with lemon juice and add some grated parm. The lemon juice changes everything.
 
Since this recipe makes so much, I'm going to freeze the remaining soup.
When it comes time to thaw, I will serve with a gourmet grilled cheese. Yummooo.
 
Happy eating!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment