Monday, September 30, 2013

Two recipes of deliciousness

One thing I love about this time of the year is making soup. I love the idea of throwing whatever I have into a pot and seeing what kind of goodness can come from it.

This weekend, I was craving a specific soup from Pioneer Woman (here), but was too lazy to look up the recipe and wanted to only use what ingredients I had. So off of memory, I did my best to recreate a version of PW's yumminess. 

Here's what I had to work with:

2 big mason jars of homemade chicken stock (thank you mom)
3 frozen chicken breasts
2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 handfuls of baby carrots, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 can of green chilies, diced
2 red peppers, diced
1/2 package of egg noodles
Dried basil
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup cream
2 bay leaves

I basically threw everything (except the cream and noodles) into a pot, seasoned generously, brought everything to a boil, reduced heat to a simmer, and cooked for 4-5 hours on the stove. I added more salt towards the end, and added the cream as I began to boil the water for my egg noodles (cook al dente). Once noodles were done, I added them to the big pot, then served with parmesan.  

The soup turned out great! I know it's not the healthiest by adding the butter and cream but it really makes a difference, so don't leave that part out! 


Saturday was also the perfect day to make a warm apple dish. So I did. And it was seriously one of the easiest and best things I've ever put in my mouth. Certainly not the healthiest, so prepare your hearts for the amount of butter, fat, and sugar you will consume. But you must consume it. You must.

Here's the recipe.  I used honeycrisp apples, Sprite instead of Mountain Dew, and I cooked the apple slices in butter for 10-15 minutes on medium-low. There's nothing I hate more than a delicious apple dessert masked by yucky, rubbery, apples. No, no. We must ensure our apples melt in our mouth, folks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment